Wednesday 5 October 2011

Planting a Seed of an Idea

Once upon a midday cheery, while I pondered, hot and ...smeary...?

…I realised how difficult it is to find rhyming antonyms for "weary" and that "smeary" is hardly a word. So instead of continuing to massacre Edgar Allen Poe's poor Raven, I acknowledged my complete and utter lack of talent for preserving rhyme, metre and subject. It was a small moment at best, but it was the first step onto a path of understanding.

In films and games, a hero's important realisations are narrated to us by a wise-sounding voice-over while the hero stands and gazes out pensively over the kingdom he will one day inherit, or gazes regretfully upon the ruins of a fallen civilisation, or looks over some view that involves a wide-angle camera lens and gradually swelling music in the background to tell us that this is a Very Significant Moment.

Sadly, realisations in real life rarely include disembodied voices predicting our future, or impressive sweeping views of New Zealand mixed with CGI, or inspiring music and a well-placed breeze to toss our hair just so while we stare at nothing. 

Important realisations are more likely to come in between the thoughts like 'huh, I think this chair turned into granite while I wasn't looking' and 'if sufficient people sit in an unventilated room for long enough, will the pitchers of water on the speakers' table eventually boil?' and 'whoops, where did my pen go this time?'

In that instant, I stopped caring about the uncomfortable chair and the oppressive heat. I truly heard the words that the panel of authors at the front of the room were saying. I stopped fidgeting. I stopped dropping my pen on myself. I started to understand the value of the wisdom they were offering. 

They spoke. I listened. And I learned.




And then I came home and made a blog.


~*~The End~*~


Or is it? I sincerely hope not. I had been toying with the idea of starting a blog before I went to FantasyCon this year, but the incredible and inspiring people I met at the convention provided the catalyst to finally do it. So here it is. I'll post up details of FantasyCon 2011 and the trip I took fairly soon. 'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. Could be worse, you could have written this limerick:

    There once was a uni in Fife,
    Where a handsome prince met his now wife,
    We're certainly the oldest,
    But not always the coldest,
    Celebrating 600 years of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send it to the uni, they should put it in the brochure

    ReplyDelete